Depression – sadness; gloom; dejection. A condition of general emotional dejection and withdrawal; sadness greater and more prolonged than that warranted by any objective reason.
These feelings of depression, deep sadness and self-doubt manifests in different ways for different people. It also manifests differently for the same person. For me there are times the simplest of tasks is just too overwhelming and you just can’t get yourself to take the first step and I chalk it up to lack of motivation. Other times I just feel empty. The worst of it for me is when everything is overwhelming that I can get out of bed.
Just as the way it manifests are different so are the oils we go to for support. As we explored what oils best support our emotional well-being we turned to Emotions & Essential Oils: A Modern Resource for Healing and the Emotions & Essential Oils Wheel by Daniel Macdonald
I like the following essential oils to support my deep sadness and self-doubt:
- Citrus Bliss – Joyful Blend
- Motivate – Encouraging Blend
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease. These are just what I have found that it is best to work to support what emotions are part of the depression. Working with the essential oils that support those emotions you are experiencing seems to give the best results. (Refer to the Emotions & Essential Oils: A Modern Resource for Healing and the Emotions & Essential Oils Wheel for more information) I then smell the oils that I have available and see which ones bring a sense of peace, that help my thoughts calm down, and return me to more balanced emotions.
- Motivate – Encouraging Blend – Discouraged, Lack of Motivation, stagnant, unable to move on
- Cheer – Uplifting Blend – Burdened, hopeless, heavy hearted, helpless
- Passion – Inspiring Blend – Self-denial, regimented, dutiful, joyless
- Forgive – Renewing Blend – Critical, judmental, resentful, bitter, cynical, angry
- Console – Comforting Blend – Grief, loss, traumatized, anxious, restless, emotional pain, unsettled
- Peace – Reassuring Blend – Controlling, attached, afraid
- Balance – Grounding Blend – Undergrounded, unwilling to take responsibility for self or life, disconnected, unstable, scattered
- Basil – Anxious, weary, overwhelmed, tired, drained, exhausted, addicted
- Bergamot – Despair, low self-esteem, self-judgement, unloveable, hopeless
- Breathe – Respiratory Blend – Sadness, grief, unloved, distrust
- Citrus Bliss – Invigorating Blend – Fear of self expression, stifled, emotionally imbalanced, low will to live
- Deep Blue – Soothing Blend – Resistant to pain, avoidance of emotional issues, hysteria in painful situations, sadness
- Grapefruit – Hate for the body, addiction to food or dieting, eating disorders, anxious feelings about appearance
- Lime – Apathy, resignation, grief, suicidal thoughts and feelings, discouragement
- PastTense- Tension Blend – Stress, overworked, nervous, burnout, overwhelmed, fatigued
- Serenity – Calming Blend – Resentment, bitter, anger, sadness, perfectionism, unwilling to forgive
- Spearmint – Fear of public speaking, nervous, timid, afraid to express opinions
- Tangerine – Overburdened by responsibilities, downtroddend, heavy hearted, lack of fun or joy in life
- Vetiver – Apathetic, despondent, disconnected, scattered, split, stressed, ungrounded, crisis
Essential Oils are a key part of my self care. I swing between anxious feelings and feelings of deep sadness and self-doubt and suicidal idealization, so I experience everything in between. I also go to counseling to support those wide range of thoughts and feelings. All of my children & I use a blend of equal parts of Serenity, Balance, and Vetiver that we have in a roller bottle to support our overall emotion well-being. We apply it to the bottom of our feet first thing in the morning and before going to bed.
*Disclaimer: There are days when I can’t get myself to put the oils on because it is too overwhelming to me. So even though I know they help it is a struggle. I understand. Be patient with yourself.
I like the following essential oils to support my feelings of deep sadness and self-doubt:
Beyond Abuse Blend
Cheer – Uplifting Blend
Motivate – Encouraging Blend
Cheer & Motivate (Equal parts)
Balance & Lime (Equal parts)
Balance – Grounding Blend
Citrus Bliss – Invigorating Blend
Please remember everyone has his or her own journey. No one experience abuse exactly the same. We each have our own triggers and my intent is to aid in the healing process and it is to add awareness to a growing problem not cause anxiety or pain. . Our experience may be similar but they are each unique. Even though many people could have been at the same event each person experiences and remembers those events through our own eyes and will recall the event differently. My blogs will be from my perspective of my life I am a daughter, sister, wife, mother and friend. I am not a Doctor, Counselor or Therapist. I believe it is important to work with Doctors, Counselors, and Therapist along with Energy Healing, Essential Oils and spirituality to find health, healing and balance. The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease.